NDO Issues

Alex Burger alex_b at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 21 02:06:00 CEST 2007

Dallas Helquist wrote:
> I am running nagios 2.9, and am now trying to get ndoutils-1.4b5 working
> properly.  I followed the README and now have data being written to the
> database.  The problem I am running into is that ndomod can't seem to
> stay connected to ndo2db.  I have tried with ndo2db running on the local
> host via unix socket & tcp socket, as well as running directly on the
> database server (remote tcp socket of course).  The error in the
> nagios.log is:
>
> [1190298022] ndomod: Successfully flushed 204 queued items to data sink.
> [1190298028] ndomod: Error writing to data sink!  Some output may get
> lost...
> [1190298044] ndomod: Successfully reconnected to data sink!  0 items
> lost, 320 queued items to flush.
> [1190298044] ndomod: Successfully flushed 320 queued items to data sink.
> [1190298050] ndomod: Error writing to data sink!  Some output may get
> lost...
> [1190298066] ndomod: Successfully reconnected to data sink!  0 items
> lost, 233 queued items to flush.
> [1190298066] ndomod: Successfully flushed 233 queued items to data sink.
>
> This is repeated over and over.  Again, I am getting data inserted into
> the appropriate tables, but keep seeing this in the logs.  Any idea on
> where to start troubleshooting?  I can't seem to find a debug option in
> the ndomod.cfg.

I have been getting the same error with Nagios 2.8 and NDOUtils-1.4b5
configured with a unix socket.  The data *is* being logged, but never on
the first attempt.

All of my 'Error writing to data sink!' errors are coming from line 776
of ndomod.c in ndomod_write_to_sink().  From what I can see it is never
able to write the data to the socket after it's received.  It always has
to put it in the buffer for later processing.  About 15 seconds after
the failed attempt, ndomod manages to write it from the buffer.

I tried with TCP sockets and I had the same results.  It appears to be a
bug.  Hopefully it's easy to fix...

Alex