Problem with Nagios && NRPE

Clemens Sibon c.sibon at triple-it.nl
Thu Sep 20 18:06:33 CEST 2007

Hello all,

After 3 days of frustrated debugging, I turn to the mailinglist because
I don't get it anymore..

I successfully installed Nagios (first 3.0.3b, later tried the latest
2.9 release), nagios-plugins 1.4.9 and nrpe 2.8.1 (with SSL).

My problem is that I can successfully check all the remote commands I
have defined on the remote server in nrpe.cfg from the commandline
(check_nrpe -H selene -c check_usr for example).

Problem is that the results returned and showed in the website for this
checks don't match.

[root at sansha libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H selene -c check_usr
DISK OK - free space: /usr 4467 MB (81% inode=97%);|
/usr=1029MB;5216;5506;0;5796

and in the webpage it states:

DISK OK - free space: /usr 4588 MB (83% inode=97%):

The difference is not too big but I can't explain it (not a factor 1.024
for example).
The check for the number of users is totally off, showing 1 even when 5
are logged in.

Besides this problem, I have also defined some other checks, for example
check_pmon:

command[check_pmon]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --db orcl

When I check this one from the monitoring server on the console I get:

[root at sansha libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H selene -c check_pmon
orcl OK - 1 PMON process(es) running

Looks fine, but what does the website show me?

NRPE: Command 'check_pmon' not defined

Same happens with some checks I made for specific partitions like
/opt/oracle and /opt/oracle/oradata....

I tried running nrpe with 'debug=1' but it doesn't provide any usefull
info in syslog:

Sep 20 18:01:18 selene xinetd[8511]: START: nrpe pid=15307
from=192.168.15.5
Sep 20 18:01:18 selene nrpe[15307]: INFO: SSL/TLS initialized. All
network traffic will be encrypted.

What am I missing here? I don't know anymore....

Clemens Sibon

Triple IT
Pettemerstraat 12a
1823 CW Alkmaar

Tel: +31 (0)72 5129516
Fax: +31 (0)72 5129520
Email: c.sibon at triple-it.nl

De in dit emailbericht verstrekte informatie is vertrouwelijk en
uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Het kopieren van of
verstrekken aan en gebruik door derden van deze informatie is niet
toegestaan. Door de elektronische verzending van dit bericht kunnen er
geen rechten worden ontleend aan de informatie.

addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify it to
the sender.