Standard Nagios Plugins 1.4.9 and IPv6 problem?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Sep 20 07:23:02 CEST 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Frost, Mark {PBG} wrote:

> Hello.  We've been noticing that our Nagios host (Red Hat ES 3 release
> 3) has been sending out quite a lot of IPv6 DNS requests (I guess those
> are "AAAA" record requests on port 53).  As our box is not configured to
> do IPv6, this was a puzzlement.  At first I assumed it was some weird
> resolver library configuration issue, but we couldn't find anything.
>
> We started running funky queries (ones we new Nagios wouldn't normally
> run) and looking for them via tcpdump on port 53.  We found that if we
> ran pretty much any off the nagios-plugins package, it would generate
> these IPv6 packets.  I did not enable IPv6 when I built the package.  I
> tried rebuilding everything explicitly saying "--without-ipv6".  It made
> no difference.

I guess you have hosts defined by name and not by IP address.

So the normal thing to do is find both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of the host
and then decide how to contact the host.

So unless you have an operational problem I would ignore it as business as
usual.

Hugo.

 	(Thanks JFK, for this quote of George Bernard Shaw.)