Disabling Host Commands CGI for a user

Mick michaelkintzios at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:57:55 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Marc Powell wrote:

> I presumed that you already had basic authentication set up. If you do,
> it shouldn't ask for one at all. The user should already be
> authenticated to view host/service status information. Apache just
> checks to see if the authenticated user is a member of the admin group
> and denies the request if not.

I just tried this out.  I have basic authentication set up for all users.  If
the user is in the AuthGroupFile then there is no additional request for
authentication when s/he clicks on the Host Commands.  If the user is not in
the AuthGroupFile then there is a request for authentication, just as
expected.  However, thereafter the user is deemed unauthenticated and
clicking on any other page or back on the browser requires to enter the
username and passwd again.  Not sure if this will confuse your average user,
but it will do for now.  Of course, when version 3.0 comes out Ton's solution
will do this more elegantly.

Thank you both for your help!  :)
--
Regards,