Hello all. A question/quandary for you all

Jim.Melin at co.hennepin.mn.us Jim.Melin at co.hennepin.mn.us
Wed Sep 19 17:10:22 CEST 2007

Can anyone shed some light on the possible reasons that Nagios sends notifications as I expect it to for a host down event but not for a service check
event. When a service goes warning or critical the only group that seems to get a notification is 'admins'.

Here's the relevant configuration elements as I have them. I'm hoping someone can see what I cannot because I just don't 'get it'. It should work
based on all the documentation that I've read.

define host{
        name                            zlinux-server
        use                             generic-host
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              10
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_interval           120
        notification_options            d,u,r
        contact_groups                  admins, operators, techsrv, zlinux
        register                        0
        }

This uses the stock generic-host file:

define host{
        name                            generic-host    ; The name of this host template
        notifications_enabled           1               ; Host notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1               ; Host event handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1               ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1               ; Failure prediction is enabled
        process_perf_data               1               ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1               ; Retain status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1               ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
        notification_period             24x7            ; Send host notifications at any time
        register                        0               ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

The contact groups are defined correctly near as I can see:

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       zlinux
        alias                   zlinux_admins
        members                 sy4019, sy4558
        }

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       admins
        alias                   Nagios Administrators
        members                 sy4080
        }

and the contacts are define correctly as far as I can tell:

define contact{
        contact_name                    sy4080
        alias                           James [ Edited for this posting ]
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           jim[ Edited for this posting ]
        }

define contact{
        contact_name                    sy4558
        alias                           David [ Edited for this posting ]
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           david[ Edited for this posting ]
        }

define contact{
        contact_name                    sy4019
        alias                           Dave [ Edited for this posting ]