dont check service when host down

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:12:55 CEST 2007

Marc Powell wrote:
> Hosts are only checked when a service
> on that host changes state. Service goes critical, host is checked.
> Service recovers, host is checked. At no time in between is the host
> checked.

Oh, ok, this seems a little contrary to logic but perhaps I just think
in a strange way (but then we knew that!).

I suppose this method puts the emphasis on services rather than hosts
and seems to give much higher priority to
services, which is fair enough actually.

What is odd is that I had a service that was up but the host didn't
respond to pings, for some reason then
I had a host state of CRITICAL but a service state of OK because the
host was up and not responding to pings.

I'm pretty sure the service was OK consistently when I added the host
and service, it must have checked the host
state initially and found it to be CRITICAL (I worked around this by
making the host check the same as the service
check).

Perhaps the state change was from pending to OK and that triggered the
initial host check...
In this scenario it actually worked better to check the service anyway...

-h