Nagios processes hang

Marantz, Roy Roy.Marantz at deshaw.com
Sun Sep 16 16:47:10 CEST 2007

I'm running Nagios 2.8 with around 1400 hosts and around 14000 services
defined.  I have about 700 active service and the rest come in via nsca.

My problem has a few symptoms:
1) I collect defunct Nagios processes, around 300 per day
2) the command pipe stops getting read so nsca is dumping data to its
dump file
3) active service checks have very long (hours) latency

These all sound like the same problem to me, but I don't know how to
diagnose it.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have run nagios -s and
it doesn't suggest anything.  I'm using check_fping for host checks and
my remaining active service checks.  Attached is the output from nagios
-v and my nagios.cfg.  Thanks in advance for any help.
Roy