disable notify-by-epager for a specific service

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Sep 14 12:19:57 CEST 2007

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Russell Jackson <raj at csub.edu> said:
>> I've agonized over this one for years. I wound up having to create two
>> separate contacts for everyone with phones and list them explicitly in
>> the contact lists. This has been a major pita. As far as I know,
>> there's no way around it.
>
> I have to do that because I want different hours for email and paging
> (everybody gets an email, everybody gets paged during business hours,
> but only a rotating group gets paged after hours).

It's very common to have to do, because paging options are generally
totally different from those of the email notifications. Emails can
safely be sent at night without disturbing anyones beautysleep.
SMS'es and pages cannot, and generally people don't like being paged
for WARNING states.

So where does one draw the line? The current system works very well,
assuming one accepts it from the start. It's a minor PITA to rework
a perfectly good setup for it if you realize it afterwards, but
the most common case is that it's set up from the start, so Nagios is
clever in catering for that case.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se