hostgroups in servicegroup definition FIXED

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:03:50 CEST 2007

I went and had a look at this for you since I would like for people to
be able to use my servicegroup-generator for this as well and what you
need is to do the following in your services.cfg or equivalent file:

define service{
       blah
       blah
       hostgroup_name    SomeHostGroupName
       blah
       blah
}

firstly you must use "hostgroup_name" instead of "host_name" on the left
hand side if you are using hostgroups in your service definitions.

You can use both host_name and hostgroup_name on separate lines within
each service definition block, I've just checked this and it works.

hostgroup_name is not in the Nagios 2.x docs in the services section
even though it works, but other object file definitions do contain
hostgroup_name for their references and it is in the Nagios 3.x docs so
it must just be a minor oversight to not have it in the service
definition section of the Nagios 2.x docs.

I have rewritten my servicegroup-generator.py to work with hostgroups
properly now and work around the fact that Nagios does not accept
hostgroups in the servicegroup file.

If you download the latest version 1.3 on nagiosexchange.org it will
handle this as well by expanding the hostgroups. In order to do this, it
will use your hostgroup file. It defaults to hostgroups.cfg for the
hostgroup file but you can specify another filename using the new -f switch.

I have added a hostgroup to my services file and it seems to work well,
it puts the host names that belong to the hostgroup into the
servicegroup file and all works well... you can now mix and match
host_name and hostgroup_name definitions in your services file and the
generator will handle it and create a full working servicegroups file.

The latest version is available at:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Configuration.20.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=896

Let me know how it goes for you with this.

Hope that helps

-h

Hari Sekhon