Random text appearing in NRPE output.

Shane Anderson shane at reactivate.cx
Thu Sep 13 07:45:20 CEST 2007

 Hi,

I am running Nagios 2.9 and NRPE 2.8.1 under Solaris 10 (client) and CentOS
4.2 (monitoring host) and am experiencing a weird issue when running a
custom perl script remotely via NRPE.

Here is the output from NRPE:

root at mon01 libexec# ./check_nrpe2 -H ***.**.**.*** -c check_jms_queues
producers:0 consumers_active:10 consumers_backup:0 consumers_count:0
msgs_ack:0 msgs_avg:0.0 02/12/03 SMI"

The "02/12/03 SMI" bit is not output by my script. It actually seems to be
coming from /etc/default/init on the Solaris 10 client. It does not happen
when I run the script manually.

I've search Google and various forums trying to find anyone else with this
issue, but have been unable to. Does anyone know what is causing this
seemingly random text to appear in the NRPE output? It happens on multiple
hosts and is not limited to a particular OS.

Thanks,

Shane