Host State for machines that don't allow ping

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 11 11:34:24 CEST 2007

Daniel McLaughlin wrote:
> In my nagios setup I have a similar problem, how I get around this is
> (in the case of a webserver) is that I use a check_http for the
> check_host command, therefore if HTTP is available, I am assuming that
> the server is up!
yes this is what I have done as well, replacing the host check command
with the service check. It works but it's not generic and doesn't scale
or cannot be easily grouped or templated.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a dummy check for the
host  check command, but that could give false information so I've
resisted doing it.

If anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them.

-h

Hari Sekhon