$HOSTn$ macros?

Paul Dugas paul at dugas.cc
Tue Sep 11 06:48:17 CEST 2007

Would it be possible in a future release to support something like a
$HOSTn$ macro?  I'm running into some larger configs where this would be
very useful.

I've got hundreds of CCTV cameras with serial PTZ-control ports and
analog video outputs.  Their serial ports are connected to various
terminal servers scattered around a rather large network.  Their video
outputs are connected to separate video encoders.

I have standard hosts definitions for the terminal servers and encoders.
I have bogus host definitions for the cameras (with check_command set to
check_none).  The camera hosts are in a hostgroup are so I can provide
consolidated reports to camera technicians.

I currently have a whole slew of service definitions for the cameras
that actually check the serial ports and video inputs on the real
devices the camera is connected to.  I'd love to be able to do something
like this instead:

> define host{
>         host_name       cam-844
>         hostgroups      CAM
>         host_data       ts-23,12,enc-45,3 # terminal-server host, port, encoder host, port
>         use             cam-host
>         }
> define command{
>         command_name            check_cam_control
>         command_line            $USER1$/local/check_cam_control -H $HOST1$ -P $HOST2$
>         }
> define command{
>         command_name            check_cam_video
>         command_line            $USER1$/local/check_cam_video -H $HOST3$ -P $HOST4$
>         }
> define service{
>         hostgroup_name                  CAM
>         service_description             CONTROL
>         servicegroups                   CAM-CONTROL
>         check_command                   check_cam_control
>         use                             cam-service
>         }
> define servicedependency{
>         host_name                       $HOST1$
>         service_description             PING
>         dependent_hostgroup_name        CAM
>         dependent_service_description   CONTROL
>         execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c,p
>         notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c,p
>         }
> define service{
>         hostgroup_name                  CAM
>         service_description             VIDEO
>         servicegroups                   CAM-VIDEO
>         check_command                   check_cam_video
>         use                             cam-service
>         }
> define servicedependency{
>         host_name                       $HOST3$
>         service_description             PING
>         dependent_hostgroup_name        CAM
>         dependent_service_description   VIDEO
>         execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c,p
>         notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c,p
>         }

Three ideas here:
  1: add CSV "host_data" attribute to "host" definitions.
  2: make "host_data" pieces available in commands via $HOSTn$
  3: make $HOSTn$ vars available in related object definitions

Maybe a pipe dream.  Worth throwing out though.  Maybe I'll look at a
hack where I pack the info into the $HOSTNOTES$ extended attributes....

Paul
--
Paul Dugas <paul at dugas.cc>
Dugas Enterprises, LLC