Network tuning for Nagios with slave servers

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler at rl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 13:01:14 CEST 2007

Our configuration is quite large (830 hosts, 160700+ services), so have
implemented a master/slave configuration for Nagios (the Nagios servers
are running Linux).  The master server only runs checks if a check
becomes stale; i.e. it should have been checked by a slave but no result
has been received, but I find that (for example), in the last days log
there are 80,000 + warning messages saying the master has run a check
because it has become "stale".  On further investigation I find that on
all of our 5 slaves the command netstat shows that there are a large
number of TCP sockets in CLOSE_WAIT state (more .  My question is, has
anyone done any network tuning to improve Nagios network performance ?

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory