Distributed config admin tool?

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Thu Sep 6 09:20:47 CEST 2007

The part of my post that was snipped out showed how to use a single host
and service definition but put in place *only* a different template for
the central and distributed Nagios instances.

The ease of distribution comes for free at that point, and nothing is
used here beyond the basic built-in features of Nagios. How you
distribute it from there is up to you, I just happen to use cfengine.

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 04:51:40PM -0700, Rob Brown wrote:
> Thanks, but most of these answers seem to be based around distributing
> the configs. All good answers, but not really what I was looking for.
> I am more interested in how to GENerate the configs (ie: adding hosts,
> services etc) for a distributed setup, without having to add things
> twice (once on master as passive, then again on distributed as active,
> yadda yadda)
> We currently have an in-house tool that we use to manage the master
> config but it was written years ago (back when there were none) and
> does not have this capability. Since we are planning to break up our
> monolithic Nagios cluster into distributed sites, we wanted to
> evaluate any config tools that already have this capability to see if
> they are worth using versus spending time retrofitting ours.
> So far, it seems OpsView has the features to support this, but
> migrating may be a bit of a chore. I will be installing it so I can at
> least take a peek under the hood for some ideas.
>
> On 9/3/07, Nate Campi <nate at campin.net> wrote:
> > I use cfengine, and have it down to where I can setup a new Nagios
> > instance or setup a failed Nagios instance in minutes.
> >
> > I have a single Nagios filesystem hierarchy that helps ensure that the
> > central and distributed services and host definitions are exactly the
> > same - using symlinks.
> > [snip]
> > None of this is original, of course, but along with cfengine it makes it
> > a breeze to manage. If people really care, I could put up a better
> > description of how I did it.
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:29:18AM +0100, tom.welsh at bt.com wrote:
> > > Yes, I'd second cfengine. Though rsync is a simple quick fix

Nate

"Of course, the best way to get accurate information on Usenet is to
post something wrong and wait for corrections."    - Matthew Austern.