alert when new device is on network

Evgeny Stepanov enst at mail.ru
Thu Sep 6 06:52:55 CEST 2007

I would suggest the following. Using nmap you can scan the network and
get a list of active devices on your network. Then one can write the
script that will check the list from nmap with some static list,
prepared before. If the script will find new device, it will issue a
CRITICAL state and nagios will send a notification.
for instance:
nmap -sP -n 172.17.0.0/24 gives the following output

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-09-06 08:39 MSD
Host 172.17.0.1 appears to be up.
Host 172.17.0.5 appears to be up.
Host 172.17.0.15 appears to be up.
Nmap finished: 256 IP addresses (3 hosts up) scanned in 2.313 seconds

script can parse the output to get a list of hosts that "appears to be
up" and check if they are in list. If not, it will issue a critical
state and quit.
Sorry, i could not write the script by myself.

Rogelio Bastardo пишет:
> I am looking for a tool that will alert me (possibly send me an email)
> when a new device pops on the network.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a Nagios plugin?  Or whether or not
> something else Nagios-friendly might help with this task?

С уважением,
Степанов Е.Н.
enst at mail.ru
icq 2899514