Switch Port Monitoring Advice

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 5 09:22:51 CEST 2007

Robert Jackson wrote:
> What I don't understanding, at the moment, is do I have to setup each of the
> ports as an individual host? Obviously the check_host_alive would check the
> switch itself is online and would not really be relevant to each of the ports.

No, you query the switch's SNMP engine for its various interface stats.

> I was thinking of some kind of Link Status service, where I could pass a port
> number or group of port numbers, and get a status returned.

That's how it works.

> In terms of 3Com switches, I see quite a lot of Cisco specific scripts and was
> wondering if anyone had done anything with 3Com switches. In particular I
> was interested in the uplink ports and traffic throughput.

Traffic throughput and interface link status is in an oid tree shared between
all vendors. It's when you start wanting to read CPU status, chassis temperature
and fan speed you need to delve into the enterprise branch of the snmp tree.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se