monitoring application with nrpe

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Sep 4 15:43:20 CEST 2007

Harry John wrote:
> Hi Gentlemen,
>
> I've succesfully installed nagios and am monitoring windows processes with
> nsclient++ with great help from you people.
> Now I need to monitor running some process (application specific) with nrpe.
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nrpe/NRPE.pdf this document does not say
> anything about it.
>
> Could anyone help me how to monitor such processes ?

NRPE works by running plugins on the remote system. If you open the nrpe config
file in any normal text-editor you'll see that it isn't exactly hard to grok
the format of the config file.

Then run the check_nrpe program with the --help argument. You should be able to
get a grip on things fairly quickly from there.

Hints: check_nrpe should be located on your nagios server, along with the rest
of the plugins. The nrpe deamon and the plugins you need to monitor whatever it
is you want to monitor on the remote host should reside on the remote server.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se