check_snmp and disk monitring

Matthew Joyce MJoyce at ccia.unsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 02:36:14 CEST 2007

If you have snmpd installed and configured correctly you will be able to
get that information using snmp_check.   I think.   We get that
information via Cacti, via snmp.

If you compile and install Nagios Remote Program Execution (NRPE) on the
target server, you'll be able to use the Nagios plugins (locally on the
same server) to access that info and much more.

Pros and cons (not limited to)

SNMP pros - might be running already, no compiling, reasonably standard.
SNMP cons - requires that manufacturers provide snmp data, security (v1)

NRPE pros - can run many more data gathering plugins
NRPE cons -	have to compile NRPE and the Nagios plugins (first time
is the hardest)

Matthew Joyce
02 9382 0051 | IT Manager | Children's Cancer Institute Australia for
Medical Research