How to auto-start NRPE daemon on reboot (FreeBSD) ?

Sean Schertell sean at datafly.net
Sat Sep 1 00:55:47 CEST 2007

Hi Guys,

I've got a spiffy new rc.d script that works great for starting/
stopping the nrpe daemon. But simply adding nrpe_enable="yes" to my /
etc/rc.conf doesn't seem to do the trick.

Does anyone know how I can tell FreeBSD to fire off the "/usr/local/
etc/rc.d/nrpe start" command at boot time?

In case anyone's interested, here's my script:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for NRPE
#

# Source function library.
. /usr/local/etc/rc.d/functions

BIN=/usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe
CONFIG=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
LOCK=/var/spool/lock/nrpe

RETVAL=0;

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
   start)
         echo -n "Starting NRPE daemon: "
         daemon $BIN -c $CONFIG -d
         RETVAL=$?
         if [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch $LOCK
         then
                 echo -e "\t\t[ OK ]";
         else
                 echo -e "\t\t[ FAILED ]";
         fi
         ;;
   stop)
         echo -n "Stopping NRPE daemon: "
         kill `cat /var/run/nrpe.pid` && rm -f /var/run/nrpe.pid
         RETVAL=$?
         if [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f $LOCK
         then
                 echo -e "\t\t[ OK ]";
         else
                 echo -e "\t\t[ FAILED ]";
         fi

         ;;
   status)
         status nrpe
         ;;
   restart)
         $0 stop
         sleep 1
         $0 start
         ;;
   *)
         echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
         exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

::::  DataFly.Net  ::::