High number of hosts monitoring problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Oct 29 14:28:35 CET 2007

bolovan bogdan wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> I have a problem monitoring a big number of Cisco and non unix hosts. (
> about 5000)
> I use nagios 3.0a5.
> i do nothing but "host checks" to these hosts.( no service checks), as all I
> need is availability.
>

> I initially used check_ping for all and the hosts were polled in about 7-8
> minutes.
> Check_ping opens about 100 -> 200 processes , and takes my machine to  loads
> between 2  and 7
> I have 50% free memory left and the CPU usage reaches 20%
>

> I tried "check_fping" for all ,( for a few hosts check_fping works just fine
> , it's way faster than normal ping) but the problem is that it opens lots
> and lots of processes that stay in the sleep state a while and then close.
> It reached 4000 processes if you can belive that and the load reached 270
> :))
>  -- incredible right...
>
> This is not a server problem
>
> 4* Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz
> 7GB RAM
> 280 GB HD space
>

> So is there any way to limit the number of fping processes  ??

Use check_icmp instead. It will provide an enormous performance
boost for you, especially if you do it like this:

ln -s check_icmp check_host

and then run

check_host $HOSTADDRESS$

in your command object definition.

> Should I upgrade to 3.0b5 ??

Yes.

> is there any major difference?

Yes.

$ git diff --stat nagios-3.0a5 nagios-3.0b5 | tail -1

Besides that, nagios-3.0a5 is alpha-code, meaning "you're lucky if
it runs a week straight without crashing", more or less.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se