configuration directory and file directives ... perplexity (long and boring). [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tim Palmer tim at tany.com
Thu Oct 25 15:23:56 CEST 2007

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au wrote:
> Dear Tim,
>
> (Yes, I am the nitwit).

:)

<snip>

>> I can't actually speak to your specific question, but it just seems
>> like a scary thought. Better to run samba on the Nagios machine and
>> let them mount it, and/or SVN. And then there's the GUI method, of
>> course.
>
> Good thought but why should they change to suit one application ?

I'm with Mark Powell on this - a better question might be - why risk a
critical infrastructure component's ability to function to make things a
bit easier for a few? Of course, I'm implying a general statement, and
you have a specific situation to address.

> Does cfg_dir=/Some/Path actually work ? and if so, would anyone be so
> kind as to paste a few lines containing these directives from their
> nagios.cfg ?

I understand "cfg_dir" to only relate to object config files, and
putting cgi.cfg in cfg_dir won't work. I've just done a quick test on my
FreeBSD 6 test box, and thats how I found it to work.

- Set cfg_dir (to local *nix dir)
- put all object config files in there
- comment out specific object config lines in nagios.cfg
- leave cgi.cfg in same dir as nagios.cfg

nagios -v works properly, and nagios starts happily

- copy cgi.cfg into cfg_dir - I get the same error you reported.
- remove cgi.cfg from cfg_dir - all better again.

tim