configuration directory and file directives ... perplexity (long and boring). [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Thu Oct 25 02:19:33 CEST 2007

Dear Folks,

Has anyone used the nagios configuration directive cfg_dir to point to
an SMB (Windows) share ?

The interest in doing this is that my colleagues hate vi and 'nix; they
are qualified Cisco/Window admins who
respect Nagios but have no sympathy with anachronistic editors. They
would be much happier using notepad/
wordpad to edit the object configuration files.

When I tried it for myself (Nagios 2.9, removing all the cfg_file
directives from nagios.cfg and adding cfg_dir
to point to the Windows share), Nagios complained about the main
configuration file directive in cgi.cfg.

When I changed cfg_dir to point back to the (untouched) Unix path,
nagios -v nagios.cfg still complained.

I had to

1 remove the cfg_dir directive
2 replace the cfg_file directives