3.0 and dependencies

Boeckman, Matthew mboeckman at servicemagic.com
Wed Oct 24 21:50:11 CEST 2007

Hello - I'm running 3.0b3 and wanting to setup some service
dependencies. I have read the docs, as well as object tricks and am
looking for a little guidance on how best to proceed. I have a webserver
farm that we monitor our application (a call to a servlet), our app
engine (tomcat - check_proc for java, and check_http on port 8080) and
apache (check_http). So our application check is dependent on the other
3. Similairly the tomcat check is dependent on the java process check.
All services run on localhost for each system, so there is no host
dependency check (host A runs apache/tomcat, but is not dependent in any
way on apache/tomcat running on host B).

Can I accomplish this with the servicegroup/dependent_servicegroup
directives outlined here:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html#same_host_depen
dency - and just leave all host definitions out of it? Or will that
create an arbitrary relationship between all services in the
servicegroup and all hosts they are runnign on?

Thanks!
Matthew