Announce: Show Users Plugin (was Re: hi)

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:48:29 CEST 2007

Hi guys,

   I've added a couple of extra switches to my show_users script and
posted it on NagiosExchange.org so that you can use it. What started off
as a quick hack seems to be more useful than I previously thought,
otherwise I wouldn't have sat on this for so many months...

The link to the plugin page on Nagios Exchange is

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Check_Plugins.21.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1132

This plugin lists all logged in users in the format

./show_users
USERS OK: hari(8) userX(3) userY(5)

where the (Number) after each username is the number of sessions the
user has (this is the total number of ssh sessions and xterms etc -
basically the number shells you have open plus any X sessions)

Switches can disable the (Number) after each user as well as alert on
certain users being logged in (think direct root login without auditing)
or users not on a whitelist (very useful feature I just thought of if
you know what users should be logged into a server this forms a nice
tripwire for logins). I have added enough switches to hopefully satisfy
most people but am also will to take feature requests and support issues
at this address, as usual.

Feedback and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

-h