ePN patch - testers wanted. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Tue Oct 23 02:03:53 CEST 2007

Dear Folks,

I am writing to invite testing of a small patch for the embedded Perl
Nagios feature.

Currently (2.10/3.x) ePN, when a plugin is modified (without a restart)
refuses to run the modified plugin because compilation of the modified
plugin fails when Perl attempts to redefine the modified plugins
subroutines in the package corresponding to the modified plugin. The
only work around is to restart Nagios.

The patch deletes the Perl package (and therefore all the subroutines it
contains) before the modified plugin is recompiled (the plugin and the
package are therefore compiled into a nonexistent namespace).

I would prefer to only send the patch to people who are

1 familiar with the ePN tradeoffs (the memory leak)

2 convinced that the ePN tradeoffs are outweighed by the benefits

3 have some experience with the memory footprint of the  ePN Nagios and

4 those who do not object to testing a potentially unstable release of
Nagios

I have been using the patch for my production system (195 hosts, 356
service checks) with out any problem that is obvious to me (custom Perl
plugins for SNMP checks of routers, spanning tree etc).

I am particuarly keen on knowing whether the memory leak is worse.

Please let me know privately if you are interested.

Yours sincerely.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED