question on passive ping checks via "check_nc_net -s" & NC_net

Roger Roger at NagiosWiki.com
Thu Oct 18 23:32:20 CEST 2007

On 10/18/07, Roger <Roger at nagioswiki.com> wrote:
> I have an IPsec tunnel, and on each side of it is a Windows server
> running NC_net.
>
> I would like my offsite Nagios server to send a request to each
> Windows server to ping across the tunnel and then report back to me
> (via the Nagios server) the results of that ping.
>
> I've been reading the NC_net documentation on passive checks and see
> that I have to modify startup.cfg and passive.cfg, but am a little
> fuzzy on how to do so.
>
> If I understand this correctly, once I modify these two text files on
> my Windows server appropriately and then send the right command
> (check_nc_net using the -S switch) via my Nagios server, then I'm all
> set?
>
> I'm a little confused, as I don't see an equivalent to *nix's nrpe.cfg
> file with (something like)
>
> command[check_users]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_users -w 5 -c 10
>
> I was hoping to find something ping-related so that I could call that
> command from my Nagios server.

So, I put these binaries on my Windows server

https://support.op5.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=33

and put them in my NC_net script folder ("C:\Program
Files\Montitech\NC_Net\script").

On the Windows server, I can run these scripts ok from the cmd line

e.g.

C:\Program Files\Montitech\NC_Net\script>check_ping.exe -H 10.200.200.1 -w 100,2
0% -c 500,60%
Ping OK - Packet Loss = 0%, RTA = 0ms|'Packet Loss'=0%;100;500;; 'RTA'=0ms;20%;6
0%;;

In my C:\Program Files\Montitech\NC_Net\command\commands.cfg, I have
the following entry so that I can execute this command remotely.

******** commands.cfg *********************
command[check_nt_ping_test]="C:\Program
Files\Montitech\NC_Net\script\check_ping.exe -H 10.200.200.1 -w
100,20% -c 500,60%"

However, on my Nagios server, I'm having problems invoking the check
necessary to tell the Windows server to run this command.

In /etc/nagios/commands.cfg, I have the right nrpe check properly
defined (like I always do).

define command{
	command_name	check_nrpe
	command_line	$USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
	}

...but I cannot call that check.

Even when I run something the following from the command line, I have problems:

[root at vmappliance plugins]# ./check_nrpe -H (ip address) -c check_nt_ping_test

I also tried the check_nt plugin, that that doesn't seem to recognize
the parameters.

Any suggestions?