Steps Upgrade from Nagios 1.4 to Nagios 2.9-1

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 18 18:43:53 CEST 2007

Marco Borsani wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have to definy the rules (and if it is possible) to migrate my 1.4.1
> installation (with 400 hosts an 1000 services) to the lastest stable
> release, 2.9-1.

It's indeed possible.

> 1)
> We can't loose the history and statistics of our monitoring ... is it
> possible with the migration ?

Well, yes and no. You should make backups and make sure that your current
nagios keeps running while you install the new one in a new place.

> 2)
> I find only the documentation to upgrade from 2.x to 3.x .. where I can find
> the doc regarding upgrade from 1.x to 2.x ?

Basically, just upgrade the software, and then run the two commandline PHP
scripts at oss.op5.org/nagios (they're called nagios12to20-something.php, I
think) on the appropriate files. You may have to do some reading of the source
to find out how to use them. It was a long time since I wrote them, and I'm
not sure I added help-messages.

Get back to me on-list if the scripts don't work (or if they do, for that
matter). Like I said, they're very old, and iirc, they were written for
nagios 1.2.

> 3)
> Anyone can tell me if this upgrade is necessary to improve features?
> Actually only problem that I have is that sometime (I don't know why) Nagios
> freeeze, stop to perform checks , but the interface does not crash (so it is
> not so immediate to recognize!)

It's worth a shot then, isn't it? :)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se