Another Nagios Problem.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 18 00:55:15 CEST 2007

Fulton, David wrote:
> I never said I wouldn't supply the coders with what they need. I would
> expect that those who coded it could point me in the right direction.

Unfortunately, none of the people here on nagios-users@ pointed you to
nagios-devel@, where you might have gotten a different reception given
the fact that you actually seem to have given this problem some thought.

That being said...

> The purpose of the nagios-users list is to obtain help when one gets
> stuck

It's also a place where one can help others out, or exchange ideas, or
post little scripts that do funny things with Nagios data. Taking
without giving will make people grow tired of you.

> not to have someone tell them how they should be able to do their
> own support. I have set up a complex piece of software and have been
> running it since version 3.0b1. To my knowledge, there are only so many
> sources of information that I could provide. Nagios doesn't stop,
> doesn't run a particular command. It simply starts orphaning check
> results after midnight every day. Turning on debugging does not give any
> indication as to why. If I truss (strace) the process it immediately
> spawns a new copy of itself that consumes all CPU time on whatever CPU
> it is running on without returning anything.

I think the mail from Jonathan Call is worth giving a shot. Other than
that, re-send your original mail, with nagios version, uname -a output,
libc-version, libpthread version and implementation and any and all
scripts or cron-jobs you have which touch /tmp, the nagios fifo and
anything else you think might be relevant. Please don't post several
hundred lines of config. If we need to see it, we'll ask for it, but
nobody likes emails that covers several screens.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se