check_ping for routers

Marc Hultquist marc at e-destiny.co.za
Tue Oct 16 09:36:16 CEST 2007

Hi All

I am busy setting up nagios to monitor some of my branch routers, the
problem I am having through, I have set the check_ping command to the
default as follows:

define service{
        use                     generic-service ;
        host_name               blmsec;
        service_description     PING            ;
        check_command           check_ping!200.0,20%!600.0,60%  ;
        normal_check_interval   5;
        retry_check_interval    1;
        }

I am wanting to find out, the "200.0,20%!600.0,60%", is this the thresh
hold for the checking of the line, I assume it means if it gets a
responce of over 200 milliseconds it will display the line as a warning,
and if it gets a responce of 600 milliseconds it will display the error
as critical..... Now what I want to find out, the above mentioned host
always seems to pitch up on my "service status" page where nagios
displays it as getting a responce time of 524 milliseconds(Hence the
warning), but I sit on the nagios machine at the console and have been
running a constant ping to the mentioned router, and the highest
responce time I get is 78 milliseconds....... These responces always
change on the nagios interface and show the responce time of over 500
milliseconds, but during the constant running manual ping it works 100%
and as I said never goes above 78 milliseconds...

Is there anything I can check in terms of the nagios config, or maybe
would it be reccomended to change the thresh hold that is defined for
the monitoring of the router ?

The thing here is the tcp check made to the router on port 23 works 100%
and never displays in the service errors page, only the check_ping
warning... :-\

--
 Marc Hultquist
 Destiny Electronic Commerce (Pty) Ltd

 "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
when there is nothing left to take away !"