Nagios slow restarting/reloading possible NDOUtils issue?

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Tue Oct 9 16:12:22 CEST 2007

I have gone over the documents again this morning and don't think I missed
anything. Here is all the relevant information I can think of as well:

OS: SLES 9.3
Nagios: 2.9
Plugins: 1.4.10
NRPE: 2.9
NDOUtils: 1.4.9
Addons: NagiosQL, NagVis

This system is in the testing phase at this time so I can do anything that
needs to be done.

When I reload nagios (/etc/init.d/nagios reload) it takes upwards of a
full minute to bring everything back up for viewing. In the meantime a
message is displayed concerning the status of the nagios daemon:

Error: Could not read host and service status information!

This goes away in between 90 second and two minutes and everything begins
to function normally and the system goes on that way until the next time I
have to reload the configuration.

The suggestion on this page are:

1. Check the Nagios log file for messages relating to startup or status
data errors.

[1191938804] Caught SIGHUP, restarting...
[1191938804] ndomod: Shutdown complete.
[1191938804] Event broker module '/usr/local/nagios/bin/ndomod.o'
deinitialized successfully.
[1191938804] Nagios 2.9 starting... (PID=22953)
[1191938804] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1191938804] ndomod: NDOMOD 1.4b6 (09-27-2007) Copyright (c) 2005-2007
Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
[1191938804] ndomod: Successfully connected to data sink.  0 queued items
to flush.
[1191938804] Event broker module '/usr/local/nagios/bin/ndomod.o'
initialized successfully.
[1191938804] Warning: Contact group 'infrasyalerts' is not used in any
host/service definitions or host/service esc
alations!
[1191938804] Warning: Contact group 'notesadmins' is not used in any
host/service definitions or host/service escal
ations!
[1191938804] Warning: Host performance file processing command
'process-host-perfdata-file' was not found - host pe
rformance data file will not be processed!
[1191938804] Warning: Service performance file processing command
'process-service-perfdata-file' was not found - s
ervice performance data file will not be processed!

2. Always verify configuration options using the -v command-line option
before starting or restarting Nagios!

Done and nagios is actually running

3. Make sure you've compiled the main program and the CGIs to use the same
status data storage options (i.e. text file or database). If the main
program is storing status data in a text file and the CGIs are trying to
read status data from a database, you'll have problems.

This is where I suspect the issue might be hiding. I am using NDOUtils and
did not compile nagios is any special manner. I suspect, if this is
actually an error, that it is somewhere in the text files vs. DB issue. I
could be insane and this just could be how long it takes nagios to HUP
when using NDOUtils. No matter the issue I suspect this list is where I
will find my answer. Thanks in advance for everyone's time.

Best Regards,

Mark L. Potter
Systems Engineer
Academy Sports & Outdoors