Monitoring unix (SUN) logfiles...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Oct 8 17:08:09 CEST 2007

Two scripts are distributed with the plugins -- check_log.sh and
contrib/check_log2.pl. Both can search for the presence, or absence in
the case of log2.pl, of strings within specified log files. Run them
with -h for usage information.

> can someone please tell me where I can find these informations?

Google's always a good source if the usual suspects aren't helpful.

> more, I'd like to understand whether Nagios can monitor file
existence?
> can someone help on this?

If you can determine status from the command line then nagios can do it.
Your question really is, has someone created a plugin to do so. I don't
see any obvious hits on http://nagiosexchange.org but you should search
yourself. A quick search of google for 'nagios check file exists' shows
some talk about such a test but no actual plugin, but you should search
for yourself. Alternately, this should be a very simple and
straightforward plugin to write and would be a great exercise in
understanding nagios plugins. A very very basic, one-line plugin might
look something like --

#!/bin/sh

if [ -f /path/to/file ]; then echo "OK: File exists and is a regular
file"; exit 0; else echo "CRITICAL: File not found or is irregular
(galactic collision occurred)"; exit 2; fi

http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#AEN78 has
more information on writing plugins. For the simplest of plugins you
really only need to exit with one line of text and the proper return
code.

--
Marc