Host searching

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Fri Oct 5 18:09:32 CEST 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 10:56 PM, hindrek murdsalu wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I gather the 'freenasxxx' servers are somehow connected to each other
> (they're in same farm or provide same services), if so you could just
> define a hostgroup named 'freenas servers' or whichever name you
> desire
> and add the servers as members to it so you'd be able to list them all
> in 1 window.
> This, of course, isn't a solution to search rather than being an
> alternative.
>

> Hindrek

Thanks for the response. Yeah, with that example a hostgroup could be
a relatively adequate solution. I'll have to consider it further for
organizational sake, if nothing else. the problem though is that this
is only one example of where I would want a real search, and others
may not work as well with this solution. I can't count the number of
times I have wanted to get the IP for a given device, but don't
remember exactly what I named it (such as freenasbrw or brw-freenas)
or else have some other device with a similar name that comes up
first. Or, perhaps for a better example, I know I have a printer out
in Nome, but I can't remember if that was the xerox F12 or M15. To
work with the hostgroup solution, I would need to have that in a
"Nome" hostgroup. But I would also want it in a "printers" host group
for logic sake, and perhaps a "F12" or "M15" hostgroup as well, for
situations when I want to see where in the network I have a given
type of printer. Can I put things in multiple host groups? I'll have
to look into that. And no, with about a dozen different locations
around the state, and probably at least as many different types of
printers around the company, I'm not quite yet to the point where I
can remember them all off the top of my head :)
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd