Switching to passive checks instead of active ones?

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Fri Oct 5 18:01:04 CEST 2007

* Ivan Fetch <ifetch at du.edu> [2007-10-05 09:43]:
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Holger Weiss wrote:
> > You do get that logic, you can specify max_check_attempts just as for
> > active checks.  You just don't get a retry_check_interval different from
> > the normal_check_interval unless you implement it yourself.  For us,
> > that's not a problem, as we don't want a different retry_check_interval
> > anyway (for most checks, we submit check results once a minute).  But if
> > you rely on this Nagios feature, that's a real drawback of NSCA, yes.
>
>     Good point.  We do use retry_check_interval in some cases, but it's not
> strictly necessary.  If a "it's fixed" state and notification are
> important enough, and desired before the next natural check, an admin
> could always run the passive check manually.

Yes.

If a service is in a _hard_ non-OK state (so that notifications have
been sent out), it'll be re-checked using the normal_check_interval
anyway, so _here_ there is no difference between active and passive
checks.  The retry_check_interval just specifies the check interval for
active checks during soft states, that is, the interval for the
max_check_attempts number of checks which are done for active checks in
a non-OK state before notifications are sent out.  This interval cannot
be specified for passive checks via Nagios, of course.

Holger