Switching to passive checks instead of active ones?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 5 10:42:03 CEST 2007

Ivan Fetch wrote:
> Hello,
>

>     I'm wondering whether anyone has used send_nsca as a primary
> "transport" for service checks, and has any experience and
> recommendations?

I'm sure they have, as that's what it's primarily intended for.

>     The plan is to
>
>     1. Run a script from cron, which iterates through a list of
> checks (plugins to run, with parameters), and runs each check.  There
> would need to be a timeout mechanism, to reap checks which hang - does
> anyone have something they use for this with send_nsca (not all plugins
> have builtin timeouts)?

I should think not. Besides, running checks from cron will lose you the
fine ability to do re-checks on temporary errors.

>     2. Each plugin is run via a wrapper script (nsca_wrapper) which runs
> the plugin and passes the results to send_nsca.  IF send_nsca returns an
> error, the wrapper script logs to the local syslog.  I'm starting with a
> wrapper script from here:
> http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Check_Plugins.21.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1%5Bp_view%5D=980

Make it a wrapper C-program and you'll have excellent control over checks
that time out.

>     3. Nagios' freshness checking will alert us if Nagios stops hearing
> from any of these passive checks.

Yup.

>     Some of the motivations for switching to this method for running checks
> are:
>
>     * System logs are not cluttered with frequent SSH logins by Nagios

You can disable that, I think. Or perhaps it was some patch I made for a
customer who didn't want that either. I'll do some research.

>     * Thresholds for checks (disk space percentages, mail queue volume) are
> moved to the client, not defined in Nagios checks - some
> admins like the ability to adjust these locally

That option is still available though, provided you either compiled nrpe
without support for accepting arguments, or if you disable them in nrpe.conf.

>     I'm looking for folks doing something like this, or reasons why this
> might be a particularly bad idea.  Perhaps Nagios triggering checks
> has so much sanity built in, that moving checks to the
> push-to-Nagios model is a bad idea?

It's not a particularly bad idea, but you'll have to accept that you don't
get nagios' "check max_check_attempts times before sending alerts" logic,
unless you implement it yourself. In other words, the number of false
positives will most likely go up.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se