Problem: Picking up wrong server hostname with check_http

Robert Hulme hulme at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 15:30:20 CEST 2007

I am trying to use the check_http plugin in Nagios 3 to see if
relibase.ebi.ac.uk is OK.

When I call it from the command prompt I get this:
trueman% /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http relibase
HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
trueman% /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http relibase.ebi.ac.uk
HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
trueman% /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http relibase.ebi.ac.uk.
HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

However if I access relibase in Firefox (or with wget) the index page is
returned normally.

A little digging later has revealed that there are two relibases:

trueman% dig relibase

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> relibase
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 12743
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;relibase.                      IN      A

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 172.22.2.11#53(172.22.2.11)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct  4 14:24:29 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 26

trueman% dig relibase.ebi.ac.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> relibase.ebi.ac.uk
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;relibase.ebi.ac.uk.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
relibase.ebi.ac.uk.     454     IN      CNAME   www4.ebi.ac.uk.
www4.ebi.ac.uk.         2612    IN      A       193.62.197.14

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 172.22.2.11#53(172.22.2.11)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct  4 14:24:31 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 71

Is there a way to force check_http to use the correct one? It seems to
be resolving the first one rather than the second one.

If I try to access "http://relibase/" from my desktop I get "The web
server you are trying to contact has closed down.  For further
information, please contact support at ebi.ac.uk" which is not what I get
if I access "http://relibase.ebi.ac.uk/".

I'm going to try to get the systems deparment here to fix this so that
both queries, but is there a work around? (other than using www4 or the
IP directly).

Thanks
-Rob

--
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are
stupider than that.