check_by_ssh - please clarify.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Oct 4 15:02:17 CEST 2007

If you haven't guessed, what you're trying to accomplish isn't clear.
The question, as you've put it, doesn't make sense. About the only case
I can think of that you might need to use NSCA and check_by_ssh together
were if you were checking a third host that was only accessible from a
second host, neither of which are directly accessible by your nagios
server (i.e. firewalled, or other).

send_nsca can be run on a remote host to send check results executed by
an external program (nagios on that remote host or your own script),
back to another nagios machine running NSCA. This is a passive check for
nagios. Nagios doesn't 'call' or 'run' nsca or send_nsca. The
Distributed Monitoring documentation, while specific to running a
distributed nagios instance, talks about how this is accomplished.

check_by_ssh is a plugin that is actively run by your nagios machine
that will ssh into a remote host, execute a nagios plugin installed
there and return the results to nagios as an active check. If you have
direct access to the monitored machine and don't mind setting up
key-based authentication for this purpose, this is probably the easiest
way to go. Another option might be NRPE.

Both accomplish the pretty much the same thing, just in very different
ways.

--
Marc