Ideas for service dependencies on SSH?

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Tue Oct 2 20:55:44 CEST 2007

Hello,

    I'm working to define service dependencies on SSH, for all services
associated with the same host wich use SSH (via check_by_ssh) to run
checks.  I want to tap the collective brains for the most streamlined way
to do this using templates and wild cards, while not creating dependencies
I don't intend, or an incredible mess of config files.

    Here are some sample service definitions to illistrate:

# Check SSH, this logs in via SSH and echos "OK - able to login via SSH"
define service{
hostgroup_name ^sol-servers
         service_description             SSH
         contact_groups                  sol-admins
         check_command                   du_check_ssh
         }

# Check Solaris disk suite
define service{
hostgroup_name ^sol-servers
service_description             Disksuite
         contact_groups          sol-admins
         check_command                   du_check_disksuite_ssh
                 normal_check_interval           30
notification_interval 360
}

    I would like the Disksuite service to depend on the SSH service on the
same host.  I experimented with this dependency definition:

define servicedependency{
use generic-servicedependency-ssh
dependent_hostgroup_name ^sol-servers
dependent_service_description Disksuite
hostgroup_name ^sol-servers
         }

    Unfortunately, what this appears to do, is to define all combinations
of service dependencies - E.G. Disksuite on host2 depends on SSH on host1,
Disksuite on host1 depends on SSH on host2,
and so on...

    How are others accomplishing this?

Thank you,

Ivan Fetch.