Summarising or restricting alert notifications

Martin Conolly martin.conolly at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 16:44:14 CEST 2007

Hi,

We're starting a project to migrate our main Big Brother system to Nagios.

One of the features we rely on in BB is that it can summarise alerts
by recipient - in effect it suppresses notifications that would be
sent to a recipient if that recipient already has an unresolved alert.
The most recent alert is always sent, to reduce the risk of a more
minor alert masking a more serious one. Basically once an engineer is
paged they are expected to get online and investigate, so they would
then check the main status page and notice any other outstanding
alerts.

I know Nagios has the concept of service dependencies and will
suppress notifications for child services, but what is the suggested
method of acheiving what I've described above? Set up a "dummy" host
per contact, and making everything a child of that?

Thanks

--
Martin