Nagios Latency

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Oct 2 07:59:26 CEST 2007

Benjamin Cleyet-Marrel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing problems with Nagios latency that I can't understand.
>
> Upon Nagios startup or upon Nagios restart, the latency is bellow
> 0.1second which is fine.
> After a couple of days, without any change, and even though the
> execution time and the Nagios server load remain the same the latency
> slowly increase.  It seems that it is an exponential growth.
>
> All the checks kicks in later and later, no exception.
>
> Usually after a week the latency is up to 60seconds and after 2 week up
> to 5 minutes.
>
> I have currently set up a Nagios restart every monday, but I would like
> to find a better solution and understand why does the latency keeps
> increasing.
>
> We monitor over 50 hosts and have over 1400 checks every 5 minutes.
> The nagios server is quite big and is not really loaded.
>
> Any Idea would be appreciated

Three things to check:
service_reaper_frequency
check_interleave_factor
max_parallell_something_something

I haven't done my morning routine yet, so you'll have to figure out the
real variable names in case my memory is a bit off (which it no doubt is).

Other than that.. What nagios version are you running, and how is your
host check command defined?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se