looking for help with NSClient

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 2 04:00:33 CEST 2007

The old NSClient is notorious for not reporting problems correctly.

Usually, when this happens, I find the issue is that the TCP port has
been stolen by another application.  Exchange is frequently guilty of
this as it starts getting temporary port numbers from 1024 upwards and
quickly takes the NSclient port 1248.  Try moving nsclient to a much
higher port number, or else get it to start before any other apps on the
box.

You can test this by using netstat to see if port tcp/1248 is in use,
and if so, by what.

netstat -a -p TCP -b -n

This might take a little time to run though.  Look for lines with :1248
in the first column.

Steve

From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Sudhir
Damle

I have installed NSClient 2.0.1.0 on Windows 2000 server. Client was
working Good till I rebooted the server.

Now whenever I start ' Nagios Agent' service, it gets started,
application event viewer says 'NSClient is now responding to queries'
but service simply stops after that. No error in event viewer.