Nagios and IM notification

Giles Coochey gcoochey at sapphire.gi
Fri Nov 30 10:49:39 CET 2007

Have either of you had any luck with centerim?

I have centerim running as the Nagios user, and if I run the centerim on
the command line then I am able to send messages, but for some obscure
reason I cannot get the command to work within Nagios, this is my
command:

# 'notify-by-jabber' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-by-jabber
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Service: $SERVICEDESC$ -
Host: $HOSTNAME$ - Address: $HOSTADDRESS$ - State: $SERVICESTATE$ -
Info: $SERVICEOUTP
UT$ - Date: $LONGDATETIME$" | /usr/local/bin/centerim -s msg -p jab -t
$CONTACTPAGER$
        }

I've tried both printf and echo, but centerim never seems to get the
results. I am unsure how centerim does its IPC?