Help with failover

mark redding mwjredding at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 09:47:57 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

I tried doing a very similar thing (only difference was that I was
scp'ing the data between hosts) and experienced the same as you have.
It seems that the only way to retain status data is by using the nsca
server/client - and having the primary post its active check results
(either with a global event handler or by enabling obsessing (but
beware, I could not get event handlers to run when obsessing was
active)) to the secondary (with the secondary running the nsca daemon
and having passive checks enabled), having the secondary periodically
checking that the primary is running (using check_nagios) and having
the secondary enable active checks and notifications when it detects
that the primary is down (and subsequently disabling these once the
primary is detected)

regards,
Mark

On 29/11/2007, Michael T <mthomps71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 2 master servers that attach to a shared NAS which holds the nagios
> configs and status data basically /etc and /var. When the primary goes down
> there's an event handler that mounts the NAS on the backup and starts
> nagios. When I implemented this setup I thought it would be beneficial in
> the sense that I would have all the status data retained from the primary
> instance. This is not the case when I initiate a failover the backup system
> which mounts all the same data that the primary had prior to being brought
> down doesn't see any saved status data all checks are in a pending state
> until the distributed servers send new check data via nsca. The other
> confusing thing is that if I fail it back over to the primary it see's the
> old saved status data.
>
> I'm not sure what I'm missing here can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Michael

> any issue.

bright blessings,