String errors

Aidan Anderson mail at aidananderson.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 01:24:51 CET 2007

Jerad Riggin wrote:
> Ok, so I'm monitoring about 100 websites with string checks via
> check_http.  We are mirroring what our datacenter actually checks, so
> we have notifications turned off so when a site goes down we aren't
> being spammed by the datacenter and our nagios installation.
>
> The issue is that every once in awhile a string changes on the site so
> it goes critical in our nagios.  We perhaps won't notice it for a day
> which messes up our availability reports.  Is there a way to
> retroactively mark the time that it was critical as scheduled downtime?
I'm not aware of any way to retrospectively schedule downtime but you
could probably solve your problem by adjusting your checking procedure.
Assuming you or a colleague has access to change the html on your
websites, you could have a standard string of text that you add to all
your websites so that Nagios is checking the same text on each site.
Whenever a new site is added, just make sure that your standard text
string is added and you will avoid this problem in the first place.

hth

Aidan