Need help using check_by_ssh with check_disk

Dave tdbtdb+nagios at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 22:25:59 CET 2007

Oops, sent from wrong return address.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu>
Date: Nov 29, 2007 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Need help using check_by_ssh with check_disk
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net

On Nov 29, 2007 6:09 AM, Sean Bowers <unix678 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >From the command line, both hosts work fine and 'echo $?' shows 0 for
> both.

In a similar situation, I found it helpful to break my command line
tests into steps. First ssh directly into the remote as nagios and
execute the disk check, as you seem to have done. Then

 sudo  -u nagios ssh  -i /var/spool/nagios/.ssh/id_dsa  nagios at remote
"/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 10%  -c 5% -e -m -p /"

to make sure the key is working and the args and path are correct. Then

sudo  -u nagios  /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_by_ssh -H linoleum -i
/var/spool/nagios/.ssh/id_dsa -C "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk
-w 10%  -c 5% -e -m -p /"

If that works, the regular nagios process should work. I once had a
sticky problem where I could get the above working, but nagios kept
telling me unknown. It turned out I had a subtle little typo in my
config that made it different from my command line tests. Headache!

HTH,
Dave

Here are my defs

define command{
        command_name    check_slash_free
        command_line $USER1$/check_by_ssh -i
/var/spool/nagios/.ssh/id_dsa  -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C '$USER1$/check_disk
-w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -e -p \/ -m '
}

and the service

define service {
        host_name       <hostname>
        service_description     check slash
        check_command   check_slash_free!30%!20%
        max_check_attempts      3
        retry_check_interval    1
        normal_check_interval   5
        check_period    24x7