How to get reboot messages

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 29 21:57:36 CET 2007

Here, we do this by checking the uptime of the host/device.    For
switches etc, this is in the SNMP counter.  For windows hosts, it is via
check_nt and the UPTIME object.  For unix, you just create an
appropriate script to run via nrpe.

We then do a critical if uptime < 10min.  Since hosts are checked every
5min at most then even if the hosts reboots quickly, this will alert.  A
scheduled outage is OK because the scheduled downtime extends 10min
after the reboot.

Steve

I have a bunch of devices which alert me fine up/down, but I'm looking
to find how to get messages when they reboot. Solarwinds does this for
me now, but I'm trying to move off this solution, but my boss want
reboot messages as well as up/downs for the devices...