snmptraphandling.py

Duncan Ferguson duncan.ferguson at altinity.com
Thu Nov 29 10:40:17 CET 2007

On 29 Nov 2007, at 08:53, Giles Coochey wrote:

> Is anyone using Francois Meehan's snmptraphandling.py script?
>
> There's a part of the script where it opens the Nagios.cmd file.
> I'm not
> a python coder, but it appears to me that it writes to the file
> with 'w'
> which would overwrite any pending commands that Nagios has not yet
> processed:

nagios.cmd is a pipe, not an ordinary file and the contents cannot be
overwritten as such - whatever gets written into the pipe will be
read out of the pipe by the controlling binary in the same order.

If you cat the pipe then the contents will be lost to nagios, as when
items are read from the pipe they are automatically removed from it.

Pipes have the first letter as a 'p' on 'ls -l'.

   Duncs

--
Duncan Ferguson
Senior Developer, Altinity Limited

http://www.altinity.com
Tel: +44 (0)870 787 9243
US:  +1 866 879 9184
Fax: +44 (0)845 280 1725
Skype: duncan_j_ferguson
MSN: duncan.ferguson at altinity.com

The contents of this email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individuals to
whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in
error please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately.
Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Altinity Limited | 404 Seven Sisters Road | London | N4 2LX | United
Kingdom
Registered in England and Wales under company number 4743767