Dealing with nightly high load

Jasper Filon J.Filon at office.caiw.nl
Thu Nov 29 09:30:20 CET 2007

All,

I'm trying to deal with a bunch of servers that generate some high load
during the night. That is, between 00:00 and 06:00 a series of job is
run that will generate load from 10 to 15. Outside this windows, load
should be no more than 3.

I have read all the documentation, but I cant find a way to implement
this in Nagios. I have found 2 options:
- defining 2 services (load_daily and load_nightly) with different
tresholds. This will make 2 services show up in nagios that are
essential the same
- using escalations to supress messages during the night. This will
however still show errors in the webinterface and spoil you reports with
fake errors

How can I tell Nagios that during the day the load should be max 3
(warning) and max 5 (critical) but during the night, it's ok if they are
8 (warning) and 10 (critical)? I'm sure other people have ran into this
same problem and found a solution for it? Please share!

I'm running Nagios 2.10

Thanx for the help.

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,

Jasper Filon

CAIWAY Business