Centralizing NRPE Configuration

Kevin Scott Sumner ksumner at physics.unc.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:28:32 CET 2007

I'd like to emphasize that if you're going to have multiple things to
manage (even later on), bash/perl/etc scripts are inefficent.  You'll spend
more time coding in the long run.  Don't get me wrong, the learning curve
for a configuration engine (CFengine, puppet, et al) is moderately steep,
but once done, it's  very satisfying.  And it makes adding more things
to do quite simple.

You could use a script for this, certainly, but you'll be writing functions
that are just a reinvention of the CFengine/puppet wheel.  This is the
exact reason CFengine was written -- to replace complex/monolithic scripts.

Cheers,
Kevin
-----
Kevin Sumner
ksumner at physics.unc.edu
(919) 962-6494
Assistant Systems Administrator
Physics and Astronomy Networking Infrastructure and Computing