Bad group on cmd pipe after restart.

Kevin Scott Sumner ksumner at physics.unc.edu
Tue Nov 27 00:15:14 CET 2007

Robert,

Affecting the apache user will affect *all* instances of apache in our
infrastructure (regular website, as well as BackupPC's apache, etc).  I
know this seems like a broken setup -- it is.  :)  We're in planning
phases for better machine user/group management,  but creating a one-off
machine in terms of users/groups is difficult at the moment because the flat files
are automatically spawned by some, err...  "feature challenged"
scripts.  I'm pushing hard to get this changed, but for now, I can't change
change a user's group membership without it affecting that on every
machine.

I realize I could remedy this situation by running apache as
www-data:nagios on our nagios server, but my question isn't so much about
making it work -- it's about whether nagios is broken in the way that it
deals with creating its command pipe or whether I've over looked something
(a bug vs. my poor brain, if you will).

Cheers,
Kevin
-----
Kevin Sumner
ksumner at physics.unc.edu
(919) 962-6494
Assistant Systems Administrator
Physics and Astronomy Networking Infrastructure and Computing