Nagios-users Digest, Vol 18, Issue 42

Bryan Loniewski brylon at jla.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 26 22:18:49 CET 2007

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:35:22 -0500
> From: "Chris Haulmark" <chris at sigd.net>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Nagios Master/Slaves Solution...
> To: <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> Hello,
>

> Have anyone got any Nagios Master/Slaves solutions that are currently
> being used in production?
>

> The reason that I am asking is because I would like to use Nagios to
> monitor several hosts/services at
>
> multiple locations.  I have at least 4 facilities that I would like to
> assign a Slave per facility while the
>
> Master would stay at the office.
>

> Each Slave would be monitoring the hosts and services only within the
> facility that it has been assigned.
>
> Firewalls and routings will be in place to prevent the Slaves from
> interacting with each other.  Only
>
> the Master will be accessible from each of those Slaves.
>

> I have experimented with using NSCA to send passive checks over to the
> Master from each of the Slaves.
>
> It seems to be the solution only if I am not concerned about the Master
> having a failure or if the route
>
> between the slaves to the Master has been interrupted.  I have
> considered giving a Slave the ability to self-
>
> promote if this certain Slave detects that Master has became
> unavailable.  That would also include having
>
> to make modifications to the send_nsca IP Address on those other Slaves.
> That includes the firewall and
>
> routing adjustments being required.
>

> I have looked at DNX but I am thinking that it is really designed to
> cross check the hosts/services from each
>
> of those "Nodes" to distribute the work loads.  I do not want the Slaves
> to overlap each other's territory
>
> unless a certain Slave have been self-promoted.
>

> Anyone have suggestions on a working solution or can point me to some
> reading documentations of how
>
> someone have set up a HA Nagios Master/Slaves solution?

I wrote up some internal docs for myself over a year ago now and don't
mind sharing them:

http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/~brylon/nagios2/

Note: I don't know if this is quite what you are looking for, but
figured I'd share and let you decide if it helps. I would also be
interested in other docs anyone may have with respect to distributed
monitoring and failover redundancy.